About Holt International
The love we experience as children enables us to thrive. It fuels us. Molds us. Nurtures our developing minds.
Holt International helps orphaned, abandoned and vulnerable children to thrive by finding families to love them. Families in the form of trained caretakers who assume the awesome task of nurturing children awaiting adoption.
And the adoptive families who will love and nurture children… forever.
Moved by faith and a firm belief that all children deserve permanent, loving homes, Harry and Bertha Holt began their lifelong mission in 1955. Overcoming legal and cultural barriers, they sought families for children orphaned by the Korean War.
With this act of love, two farmers from rural Oregon revolutionized international adoption.
Today, Holt International strives to uphold their vision: to find loving homes for children regardless of race, religion, ethnicity or gender.
What Makes Holt Unique:
- Family Preservation Services – Whenever possible, Holt seeks to preserve children's birth families. Holt provides counseling services, income-generating loans, and basic necessities that help keep at-risk families from abandoning their children.
- Temporary Foster Care – Holt aims to provide children with this quality, family-based alternative to institutional care while we work to find them permanent families.
- Child Care Centers – In some instances, children are placed in child care centers. The centers are staffed with a high ratio of care providers, where children receive individualized, family-like care while awaiting permanent placement.
- Long Term Family-Like Care – Sometimes, long-term group home placement is necessary for children who cannot be adopted.
- Children With Special Needs – Children who are older, have disabilities, or are part of a sibling group and must wait longer to be adopted.
- In-Country Adoption –Adoption is the best solution for children who cannot grow up with birth families. Holt works toward in-country adoption when it is best for the child.
- Intercountry Adoption – After carefully considering each child's individual needs and circumstances, Holt pursues international adoption for children who can't be reunited with their birth families or be placed domestically.